News
Peter Obi: Nigerians elected thieves to manage national resources
Peter Obi: Nigerians elected thieves to manage national resources
Peter Obi: Nigerians elected thieves to manage national resources. Mr Obi had excoriated Mr Tinubu for fiscal recklessness, repeatedly expanding the 2023 budget “without a clearly defined end date”.
Major opposition politician Peter Obi has admitted that he and his compatriots elected “thieves” to manage national resources.
“The only thing wrong with Nigeria is that we hire thieves to manage our resources, people who have not created wealth,” Mr Obi said at his official declaration for the ADC presidential ticket before his supporters in Akwa Ibom on Saturday. “You cannot hire a thief to look after your wealth; he will definitely steal it.”
Earlier this month, the politician noted that Nigeria “is not a poor country”, but rather “it is poorly governed”.
“Remember us in your prayers that God should touch our hearts to use public money for public good,” Mr Obi told Nigerians. “Please do remember we politicians in your prayers. We are the problem of Nigeria. No other person.”
Following his plea, the former Labour Party presidential standard-bearer excoriated President Bola Tinubu for his poor budget implementation.
“President Tinubu inherited a legally signed N21.83 trillion budget for 2023. A few months after taking office, he presented a N2.17 trillion supplementary budget that faced widespread criticism for prioritising benefits for public officeholders at a time when Nigerians were enduring painful economic reforms without a credible social protection framework.
“Instead of restoring fiscal discipline, the president repeatedly expanded the 2023 budget without a clearly defined end date,” Mr Obi explained.

Peter Obi
The ADC chieftain added, “This lack of transparency is not accidental; it reflects a deliberate pattern of undermining public scrutiny and debate.
The federal government has stopped publishing treasury reports on the opentreasury.gov.ng portal, dismantling a vital transparency framework inherited from the previous administration. In 2025, no budget implementation report was released, regardless of how poor the performance was! No nation can operate with such recklessness and succeed.”
On Saturday, addressing a crowd in Akwa Ibom, Mr Obi warned that “in the upcoming election in 2027, anybody who refuses to count our vote, we will count the person join”.
“Anybody who refused to count our votes in 2027, we will ‘count’ him,” said Mr Obi.
Crime
DE@TH OF A 22-YEAR OLD NIGERIAN: Solidarity By South African As 3 More Suspects Arraigned
DE@TH OF A 22-YEAR OLD NIGERIAN: Solidarity By South African As 3 More Suspects Arraigned
DE@TH OF A 22-YEAR OLD NIGERIAN: Solidarity by South African as 3 more suspects arraigned. Abuja, Feb. 16, 2026: Sequel to the ki1ling of 22-year-old Nigerian e-hailing driver, Isaac Satlet in Pretoria South Africa, three more suspects were on Monday arraigned in court.
It will be recalled that Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) had on Sunday demanded for justice and arrest as well as prosecution of those involved.
Nigerians and South Africans on Monday trooped out in large numbers in solidarity as they welcomed the arraignment of three South African suspects at the Pretoria Central Magistrate Court in connection with the gruesome murder of the Nigerian driver.
Those arraigned before the Court were Dikeledi Mphela (female) Gotseone Machidi and McClaren Mushwana.
A fourth suspect had reportedly just voluntarily turned himself in.
In solidarity with Nigerians, South African trooped outside the court and jubilated over the arrest and arraignment of the suspects.

NiDCOM
Dabiri-Erewa had expressed worry over the increasing rate of criminality and killings of Nigerians in South Africa.
Satlet, a student set to graduate next month, was remembered as hardworking and ambitious, with plans to further his studies in Canada.
E-signed
Abdur-Rahman Balogun mnipr
Director of Media, Public Relations and Protocols NIDCOM, Abuja.
News
NAF Strengthens Security Partnership With Seplat Energy
NAF Strengthens Security Partnership With Seplat Energy
NAF strengthens security partnership with Seplat Energy. The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has reinforced its strategic partnership with Seplat Energy Plc following a high-level engagement aimed at strengthening collaboration in support of aviation operations and national security.
A NAF delegation led by the Chief of Operations, Air Vice Marshal Precious Amadi, visited the company’s headquarters in Lagos on behalf of the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sunday Kelvin Aneke, to express appreciation for Seplat’s sustained support to the Service and to explore avenues for deeper cooperation.
Speaking during the visit, Air Vice Marshal Amadi reiterated the critical role of private sector partnerships in enhancing operational effectiveness and safeguarding national assets.
He noted that strategic collaboration between the Armed Forces and responsible corporate organisations is vital to sustaining operational readiness and advancing Nigeria’s security and socio-economic development.
The engagement provided a platform for both institutions to review ongoing areas of support and identify new opportunities for collaboration, particularly in aviation infrastructure and operational logistics.

Seplat Energy
In his response, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Mr Udoma Udo Udoma, welcomed the delegation and reaffirmed Seplat’s commitment to supporting the Nigerian Air Force in initiatives that promote national development and stability. The engagement not only consolidates an already productive partnership but also sets a forward-looking framework for sustained cooperation, innovation, and shared responsibility in protecting critical national assets.
It reflects the NAF’s strategic vision of building enduring alliances that strengthen Nigeria’s security architecture and reinforce the collective role of defence and industry in driving national resilience and progress.
Crime
Witness Links Fund Transfers To Ali Bello, Co-defendant In Alleged ₦10bn Kogi Fraud
Witness Links Fund Transfers To Ali Bello, Co-defendant In Alleged ₦10bn Kogi Fraud
Witness links fund transfers to Ali Bello, Co-defendant in alleged ₦10bn Kogi fraud. The trial of Ali Bello, Chief of Staff to the governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Usman Ododo before Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Maitama, Abuja continued on Monday, February 16, 2026, with the 17th Prosecution Witness, PW17, Ahmed Audu Abubakar, linking Bello with funds from Kogi State Government.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is prosecuting Ali Bello, a nephew of former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, alongside Dauda Sulaiman, on a 16-count amended charge bordering on alleged misappropriation and money laundering to the tune of ₦10,270,556,800.00.
Led in evidence by prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, the witness, an investigator with the EFCC, identified Exhibit F as a document recovered in the course of investigation that contains details of inflows and outflows of funds.
In response to prosecution counsel’s enquiry on $91,000.00 outflow, dated February 5, 2021, the witness disclosed that the amount was paid to “Oga Ali,” a reference to the first defendant, Ali Bello.
On February 6, 2021, the witness identified an outflow of ₦150,000.00, released to “Presido.”
He further explained that “Rashido” referred to one Abdulrasheed, who came from Lokoja to transport money, stating that ₦150 million was moved from Lokoja to the bureau de change operator.
The witness also identified entries, dated February 19, 2021, showing an endorsement of ₦10 million paid to Ali Bello and ₦500,000.00 to Daud. He clarified that “Alhaji Ali” also refers to the first defendant, while “Daud” refers to the second defendant, Dauda Sulaiman.
On investigation findings relating to account number 1000688500 belonging to Dantata and Sawoe Construction Company, with transfers of ₦80 million and ₦20 million, the witness testified that the payments were for Plot 1060, located in Gwarimpa,Abuja, made by the company. The ₦100 million total he said, was paid to Dantata and Sawoe and reflected in Exhibit F.
“There were 10 entries of ₦10 million each, making a total of ₦100 million. The source is Maigari Murtala, an ally of the first defendant and a contact with the Bureau de Change operator,” he said.
The irrevocable power of attorney for the said property was subsequently tendered in evidence by the prosecution, marked Exhibit Q.
The prosecution counsel’s attempt to tender the extra-judicial statements of the defendants, dated November 29, 30; December 1, 10, 11 and 12, 2022 for the first defendant, and November 30 and December 1, 2022 for the second defendant was objected to by counsel to the first and second defendants on the alleged ground that their admissibility did not comply with Section 15(4) and Section 17(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, ACJA, particularly with regards to the voluntariness of audio-visual recording of statements.

Fraud
After listening to arguments from both sides, Justice Omotosho ruled for immediate commencement of trial-within-trial to determine the voluntariness of the statements, with PW17 testifying as the first prosecution witness in the sub-trial.
In his testimony, the witness identified the statements of the defendants and affirmed that they were voluntarily made.
“In EFCC, we have a standard. No threats, no promises, and statements were taken in the presence of their counsel, with Z.E. Abbas being the most present,” he said.
Following the proceedings in the sub-trial, the statements were admitted in evidence, as there was no further objection from counsel.
Counsel to the first and second defendants cross-examined the witness. With the exhaustion of their cross-examination, Justice Omotosho discharged the witness from the witness box and adjourned the matter till February 17, 2026, for continuation of trial.
-
Crime9 months agoKogi Assembly Considers Law To Regulate Rent, Establish Control Board: Tenancy Law
-
News11 months agoAtiku Reveals Why He Failed To Pick Wike As Running Mate In 2023
-
Crime1 year agoFederal High Court Jails 2 For Vandalizing Transformer, Telecom Mast In Kogi
-
Akwa Ibom1 year agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New Territorial Chairman, Exco
-
News1 year agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New National President, Executive
-
Akwa Ibom1 year agoUmo Eno Commences Payment Of 80,000 Naira Minimum Wage With Arrears
-
News12 months agoSenator Natasha Returns To Senate With Husband Amid Seat Dispute
-
Economy9 months agoKiyosaki: Is Tinubu’s Government Afraid Of Ibrahim Traore?
