Connect with us

Education

National Examinations Council (NECO) Accredits Schools In Burkina Faso For SSCE, BECE

Published

on

Tinubu Government To Adopt Private CBT Centres For NECO

National Examinations Council (NECO) Accredits Schools In Burkina Faso For SSCE, BECE

National Examinations Council (NECO) accredits schools in Burkina Faso for SSCE, BECE. He said that the accreditation would reduce financial strain on parents.

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has granted accreditation to schools  in Burkina Faso to host its examinations, widening its international footprint.

This is contained in a statement issued to journalists in Abuja on Sunday by the council’s acting diirector of information and public relations, Azeez Sani.
Mr Sani said the council would now begin to conduct the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) and the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in the West African country.
According to him, the move follows a comprehensive assessment visit by a NECO accreditation team to selected schools in the West African country.

“During the visit, the team evaluated the readiness of the institutions by inspecting classrooms, laboratories, libraries, computer labs, workshops, examination halls, sports facilities, and security architecture.

“They also reviewed the schools’ Continuous Assessment (CA) records, teacher adequacy, and general learning environment to determine suitability for NECO examinations.
“After what was described as a thorough and detailed evaluation, the schools were granted full accreditation to host the SSCE and BECE,” he said.

Mr Sani noted that the expansion into Burkina Faso underscored NECO’s commitment to delivering quality education and assessment services beyond Nigeria’s borders.

“With its expanding global presence, NECO is poised to become a leading examination body in Africa, offering opportunities for Nigerian students and other foreign nationals worldwide to benefit from its expertise,” he said.

He recalled the recent establishment of an examination centre in London, United Kingdom, adding to existing centres in Togo, Benin Republic, Niger Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire, and Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s Ambassador to Burkina Faso, M.D. Galadima, commended NECO for the expansion, describing it as a relief for Nigerian families in the country.

Tinubu Government To Adopt Private CBT Centres For NECO

National Examinations Council

Mr Galadima revealed that parents had long grappled with challenges arising from differences in educational systems and the lack of English language schools.
“Previously, parents had to take their children to Saki, Oyo State, to register and write the examination, exposing students and parents to security risks and imposing heavy financial burdens on families and school proprietors,” he said.

He added that the accreditation would eliminate these risks and reduce financial strain on parents. The ambassador urged the Nigerian community in Burkina Faso to take advantage of the opportunity by registering their children for NECO examinations.

Leader of the accreditation team, Dr Uche Ezenwanne, said the move would enable Nigerian students living in Burkina Faso to write SSCE and BECE without traveling back to Nigeria.

This move, he said, would reinforce NECO’s position as Africa’s foremost examination body.

Education

Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU) Appoints 19 Professors

Published

on

By

Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU)

Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU) Appoints 19 Professors

Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU) appoints 19 professors. Ms Dahiru-Anche said, “Among the academic staff, 19 were promoted to the rank of professors, 20 to readers, 31 were promoted to senior lecturers, 17 to lecturer I, and 26 to the rank of lecturer

The Governing Council of the Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU), Katsina State, has approved the promotion of 19 lecturers to the rank of professors.

This is contained in a statement in Katsina on Saturday by the Assistant Chief Information and Protocol Officer, Office of the Vice Chancellor, Nabila Dahiru-Anche.
According to her, the development followed the 56th meeting of the governing council, which approved the promotion of 113 academic staff, with effect from October 1.
She said that the meeting held on November 27 also welcomed the newly appointed Pro-Chancellor of the university, Senator Hadi Abubakar-Sirika
She stated, “Among the academic staff, 19 were promoted to the rank of professors, 20 to readers, 31 were promoted to senior lecturers, 17 to lecturer I, and 26 to the rank of lecturer II. In addition, 36 staff were converted to various cadres and upgraded to higher ranks.”

According to the statement, during the meeting, there was also an upward review by 100 per cent of the wages of the university cleaners.
It said the development marked a significant milestone in the institution’s continued journey toward academic excellence and transformative growth. It noted that during the meeting, Mr Abubakar-Sirika declared his commitment to work diligently towards uplifting the university.

Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU)

Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU)

He stated, “He also met with the leadership of all four In-House Unions of the university, pledging loyalty, support and cooperation in working together as critical stakeholders for the institution’s progress.”

According to the statement, the council commended and expressed satisfaction with the way and manner which the university’s management is steering the affairs of the institution.

Continue Reading

Economy

NUT: Teachers Threaten Nationwide Strike Over Growing Attacks On Schools

Published

on

By

NUT

NUT: Teachers Threaten Nationwide Strike Over Growing Attacks On Schools

NUT:Teachers threaten nationwide strike over growing attacks on schools. The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) has warned of a possible nationwide strike, following a recent surge in attacks on schools by terrorists and bandits in Kebbi and Niger States.

Addressing a press conference on behalf of the National Executive Council (NEC) and NUT members in Abuja on Tuesday, the Union’s National President, Comr. Audu Titus Amba, expressed profound outrage over the incidents.

The NUT also condemned the brutal killing of a Vice Principal and a security guard, as well as the abduction of 25 students from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.

They also condemned the abduction of over 300 pupils and 12 staff from St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri, Agwara LGA, Niger State.
The Union also described these attacks as barbaric and unacceptable, calling on the Federal Government to halt the incessant kidnappings and assaults on schools to prevent a collapse of the nation’s education system.

“These grievous attacks are not only assaults on schools, teachers and learners, but direct blows to the foundation of education and the sustainable development of our nation.

“Classrooms are meant to be sanctuaries for nurturing young minds. The destruction of these learning environments spells doom not just for our children, but for the nation as a whole,” he said.

The Union lamented that recent attacks have forced some schools to close, mortgaging the future of children and exposing the failure of government to implement the Safe Schools Declaration and related policies aimed at protecting schools.

NUT further called on federal and state governments to prioritise the safe rescue of abducted students and staff and to strengthen security measures around schools, especially in vulnerable areas.

The Union expressed solidarity with the families of abducted children, the colleagues of slain staff, and the affected communities.
It also demanded the immediate release of all victims and the apprehension of perpetrators. It further urged security agencies to intensify efforts to protect schools and citizens nationwide from terrorists and bandits.

NUT

NUT

“The recent attacks are a tragic reminder that teachers and learners have become an endangered species, increasingly subjected to horrific attacks and kidnappings, often resulting in death.

“If this inhuman and deadly trend continues, the NUT will have no option but to call on all teachers to down tools and stay at home until their safety and security are guaranteed. Stop the attacks on schools now,” he added.

Continue Reading

Crime

CSOs: Bandits’ Kidnapping Of Kebbi Schoolgirls To Disrupt Education In North

Published

on

By

Bandit Attacks Claim 50 Lives In Katsina

CSOs: Bandits’ Kidnapping Of Kebbi Schoolgirls To Disrupt Education In North

CSOs: Bandits’ kidnapping of Kebbi schoolgirls to disrupt education in North. Bandits had, on November 17, launched an attack on Government Girls’ Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga and kidnapped 25 schoolgirls.

Acoalition of civil society organisations in Kebbi has described the mass kidnapping of schoolgirls in the state as a deliberate attempt to undermine educational development in the North.

The coalition’s chairman, Ibrahim Ngaski, said this during a press briefing in Birnin Kebbi on Monday.
Bandits had, on November 17, launched an attack on Government Girls’ Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga and kidnapped 25 schoolgirls.

“This heinous act is a direct attack on the safety, education and future of our children. We condemn in the strongest terms the abduction and the violence against these innocent girls and their families. Education is a fundamental right. Therefore, no child should live in fear of violence in whatsoever manner when pursuing their dreams,” the chairman said.

Mr Ngaski, therefore, called on the government to intensify search and rescue operations to ensure the safe return of all the abducted girls and other people in captivity, while appealing for enhanced security measures around schools and communities.

“Relocate all boarding schools situated in remote areas or prone to attack across the state to safer locations to prevent recurrence of such incidents. Engage with community leaders and other critical stakeholders to foster dialogue, prevention, peace and resilience-building initiatives in all the wards and villages across the state,” he said.

Another suggestion from the chairman was to provide immediate, comprehensive support to the victims’ families. He also recommended the full implementation of the Safe Schools Initiative, as the Kebbi Government was a beneficiary of grants from the World Bank under the AGILE Project.

Bandit Attacks Claim 50 Lives In Katsina

Bandit

Mr Ngaski also called for strengthening partnerships with the sister states of Sokoto, Zamfara and Niger in intelligence gathering and protection against possible attacks by terrorist groups.
He added, “Continue providing support to security agencies and our local security outlets to help in overcoming the security challenges bedevilling our state.”

The chairman called on the international community, the media and all Nigerians to stand in solidarity with the affected families, while amplifying calls for swift justice and protection for the children.

“To this end, we call on parents, teachers and communities to remain vigilant and work closely with authorities. Let’s unite in condemning violence and defending the rights of every child to live and learn without fear,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Trending