International
Military Announces Total Takeover In Guinea-Bissau
Military Announces Total Takeover In Guinea-Bissau
Military announces total takeover in Guinea-Bissau. This comes as citizens await the results of Guinea-Bissau’s general elections held on Sunday.
Guinea-Bissau’s military has announced a takeover after arresting President Umaro Sissoco Embaló on Wednesday afternoon.
A group of military officers led by General Denis N’Canha announced they had taken “total control” of the country in a broadcast. Mr N’Canha said the “High Military Command for the Restoration of Order, “composed of all branches of the armed forces, was taking over the leadership of the country until further notice.”
Amid reports of a military takeover in Guinea-Bissau, Mr Embaló told France24, “I have been deposed,” adding that he was “currently at the general staff headquarters.” Earlier on Wednesday, Mr Embaló and some members of his cabinet were arrested by soldiers as gunshots rocked Guinea-Bissau’s presidential palace.

Military Announces Total Takeover In Guinea-Bissau
The armed forces’ chief of staff, General Biaguê Na Ntan; the deputy chief of staff, General Mamadou Touré; and the interior minister, Botché Candé, were also arrested.
This comes as citizens await the results of Guinea-Bissau’s general elections held on Sunday. Both Mr Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias have claimed victory in the election.
Heavy gunshots rocked Guinea-Bissau’s presidential palace on Wednesday, three days after the election, amid reports of a possible coup in the country.
Education
National Examinations Council (NECO) Accredits Schools In Burkina Faso For SSCE, BECE
National Examinations Council (NECO) Accredits Schools In Burkina Faso For SSCE, BECE
National Examinations Council (NECO) accredits schools in Burkina Faso for SSCE, BECE. He said that the accreditation would reduce financial strain on parents.
The National Examinations Council (NECO) has granted accreditation to schools in Burkina Faso to host its examinations, widening its international footprint.
This is contained in a statement issued to journalists in Abuja on Sunday by the council’s acting diirector of information and public relations, Azeez Sani.
Mr Sani said the council would now begin to conduct the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) and the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in the West African country.
According to him, the move follows a comprehensive assessment visit by a NECO accreditation team to selected schools in the West African country.
“During the visit, the team evaluated the readiness of the institutions by inspecting classrooms, laboratories, libraries, computer labs, workshops, examination halls, sports facilities, and security architecture.
“They also reviewed the schools’ Continuous Assessment (CA) records, teacher adequacy, and general learning environment to determine suitability for NECO examinations.
“After what was described as a thorough and detailed evaluation, the schools were granted full accreditation to host the SSCE and BECE,” he said.
Mr Sani noted that the expansion into Burkina Faso underscored NECO’s commitment to delivering quality education and assessment services beyond Nigeria’s borders.
“With its expanding global presence, NECO is poised to become a leading examination body in Africa, offering opportunities for Nigerian students and other foreign nationals worldwide to benefit from its expertise,” he said.
He recalled the recent establishment of an examination centre in London, United Kingdom, adding to existing centres in Togo, Benin Republic, Niger Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire, and Saudi Arabia.
Meanwhile, Nigeria’s Ambassador to Burkina Faso, M.D. Galadima, commended NECO for the expansion, describing it as a relief for Nigerian families in the country.

National Examinations Council
Mr Galadima revealed that parents had long grappled with challenges arising from differences in educational systems and the lack of English language schools.
“Previously, parents had to take their children to Saki, Oyo State, to register and write the examination, exposing students and parents to security risks and imposing heavy financial burdens on families and school proprietors,” he said.
He added that the accreditation would eliminate these risks and reduce financial strain on parents. The ambassador urged the Nigerian community in Burkina Faso to take advantage of the opportunity by registering their children for NECO examinations.
Leader of the accreditation team, Dr Uche Ezenwanne, said the move would enable Nigerian students living in Burkina Faso to write SSCE and BECE without traveling back to Nigeria.
This move, he said, would reinforce NECO’s position as Africa’s foremost examination body.
Akwa Ibom
Akwa Ibom Governor Pledges Commitment To Tourism, Blue Economy Development
Akwa Ibom Governor Pledges Commitment To Tourism, Blue Economy Development
Akwa Ibom governor pledges commitment to tourism, blue economy development… commends Editi Effiong for projecting State’s tourism potentials
As part of his effort to encourage tourism and enhance the State’s blue economy, Akwa Ibom State Governor, Pastor Umo Eno, has reiterated his administration’s commitment to encourage and reward young professionals who are willing to collaborate with his administration in promoting the positive image of the State through the ARISE Agenda.
The Governor made this known while fielding questions from Government House correspondents shortly after embarking on inspection of a locale of a movie, “The Black Book 2” (Old Scores), at Ishiet Beach/Market in Uruan Local Government Area.
He commended the movie Producer and Director, Mr. Editi Effiong, for his talent, vision, inspiration, and creative ability to project the tourism potentials and boost the economy of the State.
Governor Eno charged young Akwa Ibomites to shun divisive tendencies, be inspired, and emulate the creative effort of successful Akwa Ibom sons and daughters by joining hands to develop the tourism and blue economy of the State.
“The impression is amazing, seeing that we have one of our own trying to pull the world down here.
“I would love to thank and encourage him, and to let our young people see that Akwa Ibom has what it takes to drag the world’s attention.
“It depends on what you see. Someone can see this place and write one story about a swamp that has been abandoned and make all the noise. Another person sees this place and makes a great movie out of it that will market this place to the world and is able to attract the attention because of the work he has done here,” he said.
The State Chief Executive pledged his encouragement, support, and collaboration with Editi and other young Akwa Ibomites to enable them rise to the zenith of their calling.
“We are going to work with him. Editi is a young man I have known very well. This is one thing I say to our people in the diaspora, let’s partner. Come back home, whatever you see out there, bring it back here, and let’s work together.
“I think that is the story, and I am really impressed. If you know the number of people that have visited this State in the course of this film, the talents, and the caliber of artists that have been here, then this young man deserves an award and our support,” he added.

Ibom Deep SeaPort
On his part, the movie Producer and Director, Effiong, appreciated Governor Eno for his visionary leadership and passion for tourism development.
He expressed gratitude to the Governor for creating a hospitable and tourism friendly ecosystem to enhance talent exploration through the provision of good road network and quality modern facilities which distinguished the State as one of the most treasured locations in the country.
International
ECOWAS Suspends Guinea-Bissau, Until Swift Restoration Of Constitutional Order
ECOWAS Suspends Guinea-Bissau, Until Swift Restoration Of Constitutional Order
ECOWAS suspends Guinea-Bissau, until swift restoration of constitutional order. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has suspended Guinea-Bissau from the regional bloc until constitutional order is restored in the country.
The bloc made its decision known in a communique issued late Thursday after it convened an emergency virtual summit of heads of state and government on the situation.
Military officers announced a coup on November 26 and suspended the country’s electoral process, declaring they would be in control “until further notice”.
The country was awaiting the announcement of election results when the putschists struck.
The coup also came weeks after the Guinea-Bissau government said it successfully thwarted an alleged coup attempt just before the start of election campaigns.
Observation missions from the African Union (AU), ECOWAS, and the West African Elders Forum (WAEF), had faulted the development, noting that leading candidates assured of their willingness to accept the will of the people.
After seizing control, the coup leaders detained President Umaro Embaló who is seeking re-election, and some cabinet members including the interior minister, deputy chief of staff, and the armed forces’ chief of staff.

ECOWAS
In its communique, ECOWAS called for the release of the president and officials.
“The MSC decides, in accordance with the provisions of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance 2001 (A/SP/12/01), to suspend Guinea-Bissau from all ECOWAS decision-making bodies until the restoration of full and effective constitutional order in the country,” the text reads.
The bloc constituted a high-level mediation mission comprising Togolese President Faure Gnassingbe; Jose Neves, president of Cabo Verde; and Senegalese President Bassirou Faye to engage the coup leaders on the restoration of democracy.
The heads of state urged the Guinea-Bissau armed forces to return to the barracks and maintain their constitutional role.
-
Crime7 months agoKogi Assembly Considers Law To Regulate Rent, Establish Control Board: Tenancy Law
-
Akwa Ibom10 months agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New Territorial Chairman, Exco
-
Akwa Ibom10 months agoUmo Eno Commences Payment Of 80,000 Naira Minimum Wage With Arrears
-
News10 months agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New National President, Executive
-
News9 months agoSenator Natasha Returns To Senate With Husband Amid Seat Dispute
-
News8 months agoAtiku Reveals Why He Failed To Pick Wike As Running Mate In 2023
-
Economy7 months agoKiyosaki: Is Tinubu’s Government Afraid Of Ibrahim Traore?
-
Politics10 months agoPresident Trump Changes Divorce Law, No 50% Property Shares
