Connect with us

Crime

EFCC Presents 11th Witness Against Jesam Ubi In Alleged Investment Fraud

Published

on

EFCC Arraigns Gidado Ibrahim

EFCC Presents 11th Witness Against Jesam Ubi In Alleged Investment Fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC has presented the Eleventh Prosecution Witness, PW11, against Jesam Michael Ubi and his Afriq Arbitrage System, AAS, before Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court, Maitama, Abuja.

Ubi and his company are being prosecuted by the Commission on a seven-count charge, bordering on obtaining under false pretence and operating an investment company without a licence.

The witness, Gumbe Baba Ahmed, an Abuja-based physiotherapist, who was led in his testimony by prosecution counsel, Ekele Iheanacho, SAN, told the court that he, his wife and his mother had an investment of over $5, 700 (Five Thousand Seven Hundred Dollars) in Afriq Arbitrage System. He presented three print out images of the investment company’s dashboard to show evidence of their participation in the investment platform. The three print outs were admitted in court as Exhibit T-T20.

He also told the court that he was convinced to invest in the Afriq Arbitrage System by his friend who was also an investor in the platform. He further disclosed that Ubi, the first defendant, assured him and other investors in a Telegram group chat of the investors that their investments could not be hacked and that the platform was directly connected to Binance, which he said was a popular and secure trading platform.

The witness, however, revealed that at a point, he began to notice that he could no longer have access to his profile and the investment platform’s dashboard, to which the first defendant dismissed as a system glitch, informing him that other investors had experienced similar issues and that it will be sorted out.

The witness also stated that with time, the first defendant surprisingly informed the investors that due to the system glitch, Return on Investment, ROI, which was set at 1.65% had been reduced to 0.35% and was even further reduced to 0.065%, yet that he was unable to access his capital and the ROI as promised by the first defendant.

During his cross-examination, defence counsel Uchenna Njoku, SAN sought to know if the witness was aware of the dealings of one Olusesan Abayomi in the investment platform, to which he answered in the negative.

It could be recalled that at the March 3, 2026 proceedings, Mohammed Dauda Ali, a staffer in the Investigation and Enforcement Department of the Securities and Exchange Commission, SEC, told the court that AAS was not registered with SEC and that there was no record of its application in the SEC system for registration to operate as an investment firm.

EFCC Arraigns Gidado Ibrahim

EFCC

Ali, who appeared before the court as the Tenth Prosecution Witness, PW10, also told the court that the first defendant only applied for assessment in June 2024 but that the assessment could not be carried out because the EFCC had already commenced investigation of AAS for alleged fraudulent activities.

Justice Egwuatu adjourned the matter till April 16 and 17, 2026 for continuation of trial.

Crime

EFCC Arraigns Former SKye Bank Chairman, Tunde Ayeni For N15.6b Fraud

Published

on

By

SKye Bank

EFCC Arraigns Former SKye Bank Chairman, Tunde Ayeni For N15.6b Fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Monday, May 4, 2026, arraigned a former Chairman, Board of Directors of the defunct Skye Bank Plc, Tunde Ayeni before Justice Jude Onwuzuruike of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, High Court, Apo, Abuja.

Ayeni was arraigned on a 17-count charge bordering on criminal breach of trust, misappropriation and conversion of investors’ funds to the tune N15,665,085,429 (Fifteen Billion, Six hundred and Sixty five Million, Eighty five thousand, Four Hundred and Twenty-nine Naira (N15,665,085,429).

Prosecution counsel E.E. Iheanacho, SAN, informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment and prosecution ready for trial.

“We have before the court 17-count charge dated April 28, 2026, we humbly apply that the charge be read to the defendant”, he said.

Eereporter.com
Count three of the charge reads: “That you, Tunde Ayeni, whilst being the Chairman, Board of Directors of the defunct Skye Bank Plc between 21st of October, 2014 and 19th November, 2014 at Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court and having dominion over depositors funds domiciled in the defunct Skye bank Plc’s Suspense Account, committed criminal breach of trust when you dishonestly misappropriated the aggregate sum of Three billion, Two hundred and One million, Five Hundred and Thirty Five Thousand, Four Hundred and Twenty Nine Naira, Forty two kobo(N3,201,535,429.42) by transferring same to Misa Limited’s account No: 1011295717 and 1011295718 domiciled with Zenith Bank in Violation of the Prudential Guidelines and other regulations and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 311 of the Penal Code and punishable under Section 312 of the same Act.

Count five of the charge reads: “That you Tunde Ayeni, whilst being the Chairman, Board of Directors of the Defunct Skye Bank Plc on or about 27th November, 2014, at Abuja within the Jurisdiction of this Honourable Court and having dominion over depositors’ funds domiciled in the defunct Skye bank Plc’s Suspense Account, committed criminal breach of trust when you dishonestly misappropriated the sum of Five Billion, Seventy Eight million, Five hundred and Fifty thousand Naira(N5, 078,550,000) by transferring same to Union Registrar Limited’s Account No: 0003490559 domiciled with Union Bank in violation of the Prudential Guidelines and other Regulations and thereby Committed an offence contrary to Section 311 of the Penal Code and Punishable under Section 312 of same Act.”

SKye Bank

Fraud

Ayeni pleaded “not guilty” to the charges when they were read to him.

In view of his “not guilty” plea, Iheanacho prayed the court for a trial date and urged the court to remand the defendant in a Correctional Centre.

Defence counsel, Ahmed Raji Bashir, SAN, informed the court that the charge was given to the defendant on a public holiday adding that he considered it imperative to inform the court. He also prayed the court to release the defendant to him or return him to the custody of the EFCC.

Justice Onwuzuruike adjourned the matter to May 13, 2026, for hearing of the bail application, while the defendant was remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending determination of bail application.

Continue Reading

Crime

EFCC Arraigns Fake BDC Operator For Alleged N78. 2m Fraud In Onitsha

Published

on

By

EFCC

EFCC Arraigns Fake BDC Operator For Alleged N78. 2m Fraud In Onitsha

The Enugu Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arraigned one Okeke Ejike Callistus, a fake Bureau De Change operator before Justice D. A. Onyefulu of the Anambra State High Court sitting in Onitsha, Anambra State.

Callistus was arraigned on a ten-count charge bordering on forgery and stealing to the tune of N78, 295, 000 (Seventy-eight million, Two hundred and Ninety-five thousand Naira).

Count one of the charge reads: “Mr. Okeke Ejike Callistus (trading under the name and style of Nwachimereze Amen Resources), sometime on the 2nd of May, 2024, at Onitsha, within the jurisdiction of the High Court of Anambra State, did commit a felony to wit: stealing by fraudulently converting to your personal use the sum of N62, 745, 000. 00 (Sixty-two million, Seven hundred and Forty-five thousand Naira) being property of Ezegwu Leonard Chinedu trading under the name and style of Leatez Enterprises and thereby committed an offence”.

Eereporter.com
Count two of the charge reads: “That you, Okeke Ejike Callistus (trading under the name and style of Nwachimereze Amen Resources), sometime between the 3rd to the 7th of May, 2024 at Onitsha, within the jurisdiction of the High Court of Anambra State, did commit a felony to wit: stealing by fraudulently converting to your personal use the sum of N15, 550, 000. 00 (Fifteen million, Five hundred and Fifty thousand Naira) being property of Ezegwu Leonard Chinedu and thereby committed an offence”.

The offence contravenes Section 342 of the Criminal Code Law, Cap 36, Anambra State and punishable under Section 353 (12) of the same Law.

The defendant pleaded “not guilty” to the charges preferred against him by the Commission and in view of his plea, counsel to the EFCC, Assistant Commander of the EFCC, ACE II Rotimi Enitan Ajobiewe prayed the court for a trial date and for the defendant to be remanded at the facility of the Nigerian Correctional Service.

However, defence counsel, Hypolite Ohaneche informed the court about a pending bail application before it, moved it and prayed the court to admit his client to bail.

Ajobiewe opposed the bail application on the ground that “there is likelihood of the defendant jumping bail due to the fact that he previously jumped bail granted him by the Commission”.

After listening to both sides, Justice Onyefulu granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50million with two sureties. One of them must have a tax clearance certificate. The sureties must be related to the defendant, live within the jurisdiction of the court and have a National identification Number.

EFCC

EFCC

The defendant was arrested when a petitioner, Ezeugwu Leonard Chinedu, claimed that he gave him the sum of N78, 295, 000 for onward transmission to his business partner in China.

Instead of remitting the money, the defendant remitted some and sent telex copies of “ABA Bank of Cambodia” for the outstanding amount, which upon presentation to the partner in China, were found to be fake.

During the course of investigation, the defendant admitted receiving the said sum but added that he diverted part of the money for his personal use.

Continue Reading

Crime

Nigerian Navy Storms Dayspring Island, Routs Militants, Demolishes Hideout In Cross River

Published

on

By

Nigerian Navy

Nigerian Navy Storms Dayspring Island, Routs Militants, Demolishes Hideout In Cross River

The Nigerian Navy has escalated its offensive against criminal elements in the maritime domain, delivering decisive blows to militant networks operating along the Calabar–Oron channel in Cross River State.

In a series of aggressive clearance operations, personnel of Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) VICTORY and Forward Operating Base (FOB) IBAKA stormed Dayspring Island following the recent surge in kidnappings and related criminal activities.

The operation was anchored on the establishment of a forward security outpost at Idung 1 (Peacock Crossing), providing a tactical foothold for sustained dominance of the creeks and adjoining waterways.

The rapid offensive forced suspected militants to abandon their positions and flee upon contact with advancing naval troops. Maintaining relentless pressure, Nigerian Navy personnel, in conjunction with troops of the Nigerian Army 13 Brigade, secured key waterways and denied the criminals freedom of movement.

Eereporter.com

Exploitation of the area led to the discovery and destruction of a militant hideout linked to a notorious suspect known as “Juju” in the Idung axis. The suspect fled in disarray, abandoning two boats fitted with outboard engines, which were immediately seized. The hideout was subsequently demolished to eliminate its future use as a criminal sanctuary.

Further tightening the noose, troops tracked and apprehended one suspected informant providing support to the militant network. The suspect is currently in custody, undergoing interrogation and will be handed over to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

Nigerian Navy

Nigerian Navy

To consolidate operational gains and choke criminal activity, a 13-hour restriction on maritime movement from 5:00 pm to 6:00 am has been enforced within the operational area.

Prior to the intervention, militant elements operated with impunity, conducting kidnappings and extorting riverine communities. The sustained naval onslaught has now degraded their operational capability, disrupted their logistics, and confined their activities deep within the creeks.

The Nigerian Navy remains resolute and will sustain this aggressive posture, ensuring that all criminal elements are flushed out and the maritime environment remains secure for lawful activities.

Continue Reading

Trending