Connect with us

News

Alleged $525,276 Mining Fraud : How Victor Thompson Used Forged Mining Licence To Defraud American Investors- Witness

Published

on

US-Based Nigerians

Alleged $525,276 Mining Fraud : How Victor Thompson Used Forged Mining Licence To Defraud American Investors- Witness

A Second Prosecution Witness, PW2, Michael Eyo, in the trial of Victor Ekpong Thompson has told a Federal High Court sitting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and presided over by Justice Maurine Adaobi Onyetenu that the defendant forged his mining licence and used the forged document to defraud three American investors: Tammy Jenson, Kenneth Blad, and Peter Jensen to the tune of $525, 276.

Thompson was first arraigned on January 29, 2026 on eight-count charges bordering on conspiracy, advance fee fraud, criminal breach of trust, criminal misappropriation and stealing, to which he pleaded ‘not guilty’.

Eereporter.com
One of the charges read: “That you Victor Ekpong Thompson, on or between January, 2025 to June 2025 in Nigeria, within the Jurisdiction of this Honourable court, with the intent to defraud, did fraudulently obtain the total sum of One Hundred and Twenty Three Thousand and Thirty United States Dollars ($123,030 USD) from Tammy Jensen, Peter Jensen, Kenneth Blad and others(joint unsuspecting investors), under the pretense of investing the money in mining of Mineral Resources and Deep Sea Port Business, and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 1(1) (b) of the Advance Fee Fraud and other Related Offences Act , 2006 and punishable under Section 1(3)of the same Act.

While addressing the court, Eyo stated that he owned a mining site located in the Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State. He further stated that the defendant tricked him into releasing his mining licence to him, photographed it and used it as his own licence to defraud unsuspecting investors.

“The fraudster asked me to bring the originals of my licence to verify the authenticity. Thereafter, he snapped the licence not knowing that he was doing it to forge and convince the investors, ” he said.

Defense counsel, Madu Uwem Amamko, had earlier moved a motion for bail on health grounds, which the prosecution counsel Joshua Abolarin opposed on the grounds that the defendant’s health was not in any danger.

After listening to the arguments canvassed by both counsel, Justice Onyetenu reserved her ruling on bail till June 8, 2026.

Earlier in the course of the trial, on March 26, 2026, while giving her evidence-in-chief, one of the defrauded investors, Tammy Jensen recounted how she met Thompson on Facebook in August 2022, and how he represented himself as a dealer in precious stones.

She stated that he persuaded her and other investors to fund a mining project under the proposed company, Arch Royale Projects Limited, to be situated in Iwuru Community, Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State.

She further told the court that Thompson also introduced an additional investment opportunity in a Deep Sea Port project in Akwa Ibom State, which promised substantial returns on investment. According to her, between 2023 and 2025, an aggregate sum of $525,276 was transferred to Thompson’s bank account.

She said her observation on arrival at the site made her realize that the entire arrangement was a bogus scheme aimed at defrauding her and other investors.

Thompsons’ arrest stemmed from a petition dated October 18, 2025, filed on behalf of a team of foreign investors from the United States of America, namely, Tammy Jensen, Kenneth Blad, Peter Jensen, Beth Southwick, and Angie Craven.

According to the petitioner, Thompson allegedly contacted Tammy Jensen on August 20, 2022, via Facebook, presenting himself as a legitimate businessman involved in the exploration of precious stones such as emerald, ruby, and sapphire.

He reportedly gained the trust of Jensen and her associates by presenting false credentials and convincing them to invest in a mining venture and a purported Deep Sea Port project.

In the mining scheme, Thompson allegedly introduced Arch Royale Projects Limited as an operational company, despite knowing that it was not registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission at the time.

He claimed to have secured a mining site at Iwuru Community in Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State. Investigations showed that he inflated operational costs, withheld funds meant for workers, and used staged photographs alongside fabricated updates to sustain the deception.

Similarly, in the Deep Sea Port scheme, Thompson allegedly claimed involvement in a $6.7 billion project, invoking the names of senior government officials to mislead investors.

He reportedly requested $110,000 as documentation fees, falsely claiming that other required funds had already been provided by government officials.

US-Based Nigerians

Fraud

In total, the petitioners allegedly transferred $525,276 (Five Hundred and Twenty-Five Thousand, Two Hundred and Seventy-Six United States Dollars) to Thompson between June 2023 and August 2025 through Wells Fargo Bank, Chase Bank, WorldRemit, and into accounts linked to him.

Suspicion intensified when Jensen visited Nigeria in June 2025 and discovered inconsistencies in Thompson’s claims.

Investigations had shown that substantial portions of the funds were diverted for personal use.

Assets traced to Thompson include a two-storey duplex at Shelter Afrique Estate, Uyo, a Toyota Hilux, and a grey Lexus RX350. Eereporter.com

News

NPF Condemns Threatening Conduct By Police Officer In Viral Video, Orders Immediate Disciplinary Action

Published

on

By

NPF

NPF Condemns Threatening Conduct By Police Officer In Viral Video, Orders Immediate Disciplinary Action

The Nigeria Police Force has taken cognisance of a viral video circulating on social media involving ASP Newton Isokpehi, in which the officer was seen making threatening remarks against members of the public filming police activities.

The Force wishes to state unequivocally that the conduct and utterances exhibited in the video are unacceptable, unprofessional, and inconsistent with the ethics, standards, and code of conduct of the Nigeria Police Force. Such actions run contrary to the ongoing reform initiatives of the Force aimed at promoting transparency, accountability, professionalism, and citizen-focused policing.

Eereporter.com
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, psc(+), NPM, has consistently maintained that members of the public have the right to lawfully record police officers carrying out their duties, provided such recording does not obstruct operations, compromise safety, or interfere with lawful police activities.

In line with this position, the officer involved has since been identified and summoned to the Anambra State Command Headquarters where immediate disciplinary procedures have commenced. The Nigeria Police Force does not tolerate threats, intimidation, abuse of office, or any conduct capable of undermining public trust and confidence in law enforcement institutions.

The Force further reiterates that recording police activities remains a legitimate tool for public accountability and transparency and should not, in itself, attract harassment or intimidation from police personnel while discharging their duties.

NPF

NPF

A formal statement detailing the outcome of the disciplinary measures taken against the officer will be communicated in due course.

The Nigeria Police Force appreciates
members of the public for their continued partnership and constructive engagement in promoting accountability, professionalism, and improved policing standards across the country.

DCP ANTHONY OKON PLACID psc(+) mni
Force Public Relations Officer
Force Headquarters, Abuja
21st May, 2026. Eereporter.com

Continue Reading

News

ADC Welcomes Court Judgment On INEC Regulation

Published

on

By

ADC Will Kick Tinubu Out Even If He Appoints Seyi As INEC Chair

ADC Welcomes Court Judgment On INEC Regulation

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has welcomed the ruling of a Federal High Court in Abuja on the deadline for party primaries, among others.

In a statement released in Abuja on Thursday evening, signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, the party said it views the ruling as vindication of its vehement objections to key aspects of the electoral body’s guidelines at the time they were issued.

Eereporter.com
The ADC also recalled its specific objections to the strict timelines on membership registration, as well as the conduct of party primaries.

“The decision of the Court on these issues, including those that directly contradict the Constitution, is therefore a welcome vindication of our position,” the party said.

The party also said the ruling, which removes the impediment placed by the guidelines on politicians who wish to seek alternative platforms to contest elections, was a positive development that promotes freedom of association.

ADC Will Kick Tinubu Out Even If He Appoints Seyi As INEC Chair

ADC

“We believed at the time that that particular restriction was designed to prevent people from leaving the ruling party, APC. Now that the court has ruled against it, we are sure that, in the coming days, we will witness a mass exodus from the ruling party.”

Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi
National Publicity Secretary
ADC
Eereporter.com

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

Published

on

By

Segun Aina

Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), succeeding Professor Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.

Professor Aina, who will be 40 in July, is a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.

Eereporter.com
He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Systems Engineering from the University of Kent, an MSc in Internet Computing and Network Security, and a PhD in Digital Signal Processing, both from Loughborough University, United Kingdom. He has also completed the Senior Management Programme at Lagos Business School.

A Professor of Computer Engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Aina began his career with JAMB during his National Youth Service, gaining foundational experience in national admissions and data-driven institutional processes. These insights have shaped his ongoing contributions to examination reform and systems optimisation.

With over 15 years of post-graduation experience, Professor Aina operates at the intersection of technology, policy, and institutional transformation, advising federal and state governments on system design, digital transition, and operational reform. At 39, he became one of Nigeria’s youngest Computer Engineering professors and will now make history as JAMB’s youngest registrar.

He has served as a consultant to major examination bodies, including NECO, NABTEB, and various State Ministries of Education, providing expertise on ICT systems, examination integrity, and digital process optimisation.

Segun Aina

Segun Aina

Professor Aina is a member of several professional bodies, including the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).

President Tinubu expects Professor Aina to bring to bear his vast experience, knowledge and practical insight into the operations of the Board, to take the critical educational organisation beyond the laudable heights achieved by his predecessor.

Bayo Onanuga
Special Adviser to the President
(Information & Strategy)
May 21, 2026
Eereporter.com

Continue Reading

Trending