Connect with us

Abuja

NAHCON Announces N8.5m As Tentative Fare For Hajj 2026

Published

on

NAHCON Hajj 2025

NAHCON Announces N8.5m As Tentative Fare For Hajj 2026

NAHCON announces N8.5m as tentative fare for hajj 2026. The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has announced N8.5 million as the tentative fare for the 2026 hajj.

In a statement on Thursday, Fatima Usara, NAHCON’s assistant director of information and publication, said the decision was taken during a post-hajj review meeting with chairmen and secretaries of state pilgrims’ welfare boards at the Hajj House in Abuja.

Usara said Abdullahi Usman, NAHCON chairman, thanked President Bola Tinubu for his consistent support to pilgrims and the commission.

She said the NAHCON chairman acknowledged the federal government’s intervention, which allowed hajj carriers to accept payments in naira, shielding pilgrims from the volatility of foreign exchange rates.

“The NAHCON chairman, after deliberations, announced a tentative deposit of N8.5 million as the provisional fare for the 2026 Hajj as agreed collectively, pending final negotiations on all service contracts,” the statement reads.

“Usman also announced that Nigeria has retained its 95,000-slot allocation from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

“Similarly, allocation of slots to state welfare boards remains as it was last year.”

Usman also commended the federal government for directing the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to suspend its earlier policy mandating credit card-only payments for basic travel allowance (BTA), noting that the measure would have placed many pilgrims at a disadvantage.

He asked stakeholders to offer honest and constructive feedback on the 2025 hajj to identify gaps and improve future operations.

 

Abubakar Yagawal, the commissioner in charge of planning, research and statistics, led discussions on the 2026 Hajj calendar.
Anofiu Elegushi, commissioner of operations, opened discussions on the possible rollover of contracts for the four airlines that operated during the 2025 hajj.

Elegushi added that the proposa

NAHCON Hajj 2025

NAHCON Hajj 2025

l was aimed at overcoming time constraints and bureaucratic processes tied to the Saudi calendar and at securing early airlift slots.

Abuja

Wike Orders ‘Heightened’ Security In FCT, Reactivates ‘Operation Sweep’

Published

on

By

FCT Traders Decry High Shop Rent

Wike Orders ‘Heightened’ Security In FCT, Reactivates ‘Operation Sweep’

Wike orders ‘heightened’ security in FCT, reactivates ‘operation sweep’. Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has directed security agencies to intensify surveillance and strengthen security operations across Abuja, the nation’s capital, as part of renewed efforts to curb criminal activities in the territory.

Speaking on Tuesday at the formal resumption of “Operation Sweep”, Miller Dantawaye, FCT commissioner of police, said the minister had provided the logistics and operational support required for the exercise.

Dantawaye said the operation is being carried out by a joint security team comprising the military, the police, the Department of State Services (DSS) and other agencies already deployed across strategic locations in the capital city.
The police commissioner said the team has been tasked with working more aggressively to prevent kidnappings, banditry and other crimes, especially as the festive season draws nearer.

He added that service chiefs and the inspector-general of police (IGP) have also granted full approval for the renewed operation.
“The FCT minister, His Excellency Nyesom Wike, has given complete support, especially in terms of logistics for this operation,” Dantawaye said.

“By the time we leave here today, the funds for fuelling and servicing of vehicles, as well as allowances for personnel, will have dropped into an account we can access.”

Operation Sweep

Operation Sweep

Dantawaye also said part of the renewed operation will focus on profiling individuals loitering around the city under the guise of begging, noting that some of them have been found to engage in criminal activities.
“We know that amongst the people who claim to be beggars, some are not exactly beggars. Most come with criminal intent,” he said.
“We are going to profile them and take off the streets those who are criminally minded, even if they claim to be beggars.”

He added that the police will work with relevant agencies, including the Abuja environmental protection board (AEPB), to determine the appropriate legal steps to manage street begging and ensure overall safety in the city.

Continue Reading

Abuja

Army Bosses To Wike: “The Soldier’s Reaction Is The Courage Of A Disciplined Soldier”

Published

on

By

Army Bosses To Wike

Army Bosses To Wike: “The Soldier’s Reaction Is The Courage Of A Disciplined Soldier”

Army Bosses to Wike: “The Soldier’s reaction is the courage of a disciplined soldier”. Here is the view of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) about the stand-off between Wike and Yerima in Abuja.

“Every soldier has an element of madness…
For while the right thinking man withdraws from danger, a soldier charges towards it

GENERAL OO OLUYEDE OFR

CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF”.

The Nigerian Defence Academy does not produce docile officers. The officer’s response reflects admirable composure and emotional intelligence-qualities that lie at the heart of military leadership training.

His ability to remain calm, firm, and respectful under verbal provocation demonstrates discipline and professionalism.

Army Bosses To Wike

Army Bosses To Wike

Nevertheless, it is both unfortunate and inappropriate for a federal minister to use such language toward a serving officer of the Armed Forces.

Public officials should model civility and restraint, especially when addressing those in uniform who embody national service and sacrifice”.

Notwithstanding, the case is subject to my scrutiny.

Continue Reading

Abuja

Orji Kalu Backs Trump, Says “Nigerian Christians Subjected To ‘Mass Slaughter’ By Jihadists”

Published

on

By

Orji Kalu Says

Orji Kalu Backs Trump, Says “Nigerian Christians Subjected To ‘Mass Slaughter’ By Jihadists”

Orji Kalu backs Trump, says “Nigerian Christians subjected to ‘mass slaughter’ by Jihadists”. Senator Orji Kalu has backed American President Donald Trump’s allegation that Christians in Nigeria are being targeted for massacre by “Jihadists”.

Senator Orji Kalu has backed American President Donald Trump’s allegation that Christians in Nigeria are being targeted for massacre by “Jihadists”.

Mr Kalu made this statement when asked on Tuesday at the National Assembly about his take on Mr Trump’s recent comments on alleged Christian genocide in the country.

“What Donald Trump said, “is it a lie? It is not a lie because Donald Trump said the Truth,” replied Mr Kalu.
In a social media post in October, Mr Trump said, “Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria. Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter. I am hereby making Nigeria a ‘COUNTRY OF PARTICULAR CONCERN’ — But that is the least of it.”

The senator noted, however, that “Nigerians are being killed, whether they are Christians or Muslims”.

“If they (terrorists) kill in Plateau, those they kill are Christians. If they go to Benue, the majority of people they’ll kill are Christians,” explained the former Abia governor. “If they go to Zamfara, the people they will kill in the mosque are Muslims. These people are jihadists. These people just want to destroy Nigeria. We should blacklist them without pity so that they will be smoked out.”

Mr Kalu added, “Before President Trump says a word, the American intelligence community must have found out where these terrorists are located. You can see that the Nigerian Air Force is already acting, possibly using information shared by the U.S. to bomb terrorist hideouts. That’s how it should be.”

Orji Kalu Says

Orji Kalu Says

Following up on his initial post, the U.S. president said, “If the Nigerian government continues to allow the k1lling of Christians, the U.S.A. will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria, and may very well go into that now disgraced country, ‘guns-a-blazing,’ to completely wipe out the Islamic Terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities.

“I am hereby instructing our Department of War to prepare for possible action. If we attack, it will be fast, vicious, and sweet, just like the terrorist thugs attack our CHERISHED Christians! WARNING: THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT BETTER MOVE FAST!”

Continue Reading

Trending