Crime
Military In Search As Bandits Abduct Ex-NYSC DG In Katsina
Military In Search As Bandits Abduct Ex-NYSC DG In Katsina
Military in search as bandits abduct ex-NYSC DG in Katsina. Military forces have begun a search-and-rescue operation following the abduction of former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brig. Gen. Maharazu Tsiga (retd.), by bandits in Tsiga village, Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State.
The attack, which occurred around 12:30 a.m. on Thursday, reportedly lasted for three hours.
The bandits also killed one person and kidnapped at least nine others while ransacking homes and looting valuables.
Eyewitnesses said the assailants stormed the community, shooting sporadically to instill fear.
A resident, speaking on condition of anonymity, suggested that Gen. Tsiga was the primary target.
“From the look of things, General Tsiga was their target because none of his family members were kidnapped. He is living with his family there, but after they picked him, they also picked others alongside the general,” the source said.
The Katsina State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Sadiq, said he had yet to be briefed on the incident but promised to provide updates once available.
I am yet to be briefed on the facts of the reports. I’ll get back to you as soon as I get the details, please,” he said.
The Nigerian Army has since mobilised troops to locate and rescue the abducted general and other victims.
A senior military official familiar with the situation revealed that the Commander of the 17 Brigade, Brig. Gen. Babatunde Omopariola, personally led the search operation in the forested areas of the state.
The source confirmed, “Brigade Commander, Brigadier-General Babatunde Omopariola, has been in the bush since the night of the incident.”
As of press time, no official statements had been released by the Army, Police, or NYSC headquarters regarding the incident.
Meanwhile, the Federal Government has activated the toll-free 112 emergency number for Nigerians to report kidnapping and security threats.
The National Coordinator of the National Counter-Terrorism Centre, Maj. Gen. Adamu Laka, announced the initiative as part of broader efforts to combat ransom-driven abductions.
The Nigerian Communications Commission has facilitated an emergency response number—112. The NCTC calls on all Nigerians to report suspicious activities, crimes, kidnappings, among others, by calling the toll-free number 112, including the Multi-Agency Anti-Kidnap Fusion Cell designated numbers that will be provided to members of the public,” Laka said.
He noted that while Nigeria recorded a 16.3% decrease in kidnapping incidents in 2024 compared to the previous year, the number of victims rose slightly by 0.27%. Kaduna, Katsina, and Zamfara states in the North-West were identified as the most affected regions, accounting for 13.8% of total incidents and 61.1% of recorded victims.
Laka explained that bandits, terrorists, cultists, and separatist groups continue to use kidnapping as a primary source of funding for illicit activities.
“In 2024, Nigeria recorded a 16.3 per cent decrease in incidents compared to 2023. However, the number of victims increased slightly by 0.27 per cent. Kaduna, Katsina, and Zamfara states in the North-West accounted for the highest prevalence, with 13.8 per cent of total incidents and 61.1 per cent of victims of the total recorded cases,” he said.

Katsina
He stressed that despite government efforts, mass abductions persist, forcing agrarian communities to flee, disrupting food production, and driving up food prices. “The sustained payment of ransom fuelled the crime, as perpetrators exploited families’ fears to demand exorbitant sums,” Laka added.
The government has employed both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies, including military raids, arrests of kidnappers, and destruction of hideouts. Looking ahead to 2025, Laka stated, “The government projects that kidnapping for ransom will persist in 2025 due to its financial incentives.
To counter this, authorities aim to strengthen counter-kidnapping initiatives, expand efforts to the six geo-political regions, improve collaborations with the 36 state governments, reinforce public confidence in government protection to discourage ransom payments, and engage state governments to address unemployment and economic vulnerabilities that drive individuals to crime.”
Crime
EFCC Releases Ex-AGF Malami After Hours Of Interrogation
EFCC Releases Ex-AGF Malami After Hours Of Interrogation
EFCC releases ex-AGF Malami after hours of interrogation. He said he would return for further questioning.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has released the former attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami, after hours of interrogation by the anti-graft team.
Mr Malami confirmed his release in his X account on Saturday. The former minister said that he had been released and scheduled for another meeting with investigators.
He said that the reality behind the “fabricated allegations” levelled against him would become clearer with time.
“In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for his divine intervention. “The engagement was successful and I am eventually released while on an appointment for further engagement as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold.”

EFCC Releases Ex-AGF Malami After Hours Of Interrogation
The EFCC had summoned Mr Malami through a letter dated November 24, and signed by Sunday Ofen-Imu on behalf of its chairman, Ola Olukoyede.
The EFCC did not disclose the specific allegations for which Mr Malami was invited.
Crime
Kano NSCDC Nabs 11 Suspected Hoodlums With Dangerous Weapons
Kano NSCDC Nabs 11 Suspected Hoodlums With Dangerous Weapons
Kano NSCDC nabs 11 suspected hoodlums with dangerous weapons. According to Mr Idris-Abdullahi, the suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1:00 a.m.
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Kano State command, says it has arrested a gang of 11 suspected hoodlums found in possession of dangerous weapons in Mariri, Kumbotso Local Government Area.
This is contained in a statement issued on Friday in Kano by the command’s public relations officer, SC Ibrahim Idris-Abdullahi.
He listed the suspects as Idris Muhammad,20, Abubakar Shuaibu,24, Sagiru Hassan Yusuf, 25, Idris Muhammad Morata, 25, and Anas Rabiu, 23.
Others were Yahaya Muhammad, 29, Khalid Idris, 28, Muhammad Adamu, 19, Muktar Auwal Muktar ,22, Salim Muktar, 18, and Saifullahi Nuhu,18.
According to Mr Idris-Abdullahi, operatives of the command apprehended the suspects on Wednesday at about 1:00 a.m, armed with dangerous local weapons.

NSCDC
“The gang was on a rampage after attending a local traditional festival in Mariri area and were attacking residents and dispossessing them of their belongings.
“The gang also stormed a nearby NSCDC outpost in Mariri, attacked and left a staff fractured in the office” he said
Idris-Abdullahi listed the items recovered to include six cutlasses, swords and a pair of scissors.
He added that the command’s intelligence and investigation department had concluded investigations and the suspects would be charged to court.
Idris-Abdullahi quoted the state commandant, Mohammed Hassan-Agalama, as reaffirming the command’s commitment to tackling criminal activities, protecting critical national assets and safeguarding public peace in Kano State.
Crime
Lagos Police Nab 26 Over Counterfeit Currency, Adulterated Diesel
Lagos Police Nab 26 Over Counterfeit Currency, Adulterated Diesel
Lagos Police nab 26 over counterfeit currency, adulterated diesel. The police said N951,300 in counterfeit notes was recovered from the suspects’ premises during the raid.
The police command in Lagos has apprehended 26 suspects over counterfeit currency and adulterated diesel in the Eti-Osa and Lekki areas. The command spokesperson, SP Abimbola Adebisi, confirmed this in a statement on Friday.
She said the suspects were apprehended on Thursday afternoon during a joint operation conducted by police officers and officials of the Kick Against Indiscipline.
According to her, a total of N951,300 in counterfeit notes was recovered from the suspects’ premises during the raid.
The spokesperson said investigations revealed that four of the suspects were directly involved in the production and distribution of adulterated diesel and engine oil, locally known as ‘rice and beans’.
“The illicit product was sold to unsuspecting motorists across the area. Two other suspects were identified as suppliers of the adulterated petroleum products,” she said.

Police Arrests
Ms Adebisi said that police commissioner Olohundare Jimoh warned all criminally minded individuals to desist from their nefarious activities.
“CP Jimoh cautioned that anyone involved in acts that threaten public peace or economic stability will face the full weight of the law,” she said.
She assured residents that Lagos remains safe, reiterating that the command is in control of the security situation and has prioritised the safety and well-being of all residents.
She urged the public to provide credible and timely information that could assist the police in apprehending criminals and preventing crime.
“Public cooperation remains essential to sustaining the peace and security for which Lagos state is known,” she said.
-
Crime7 months agoKogi Assembly Considers Law To Regulate Rent, Establish Control Board: Tenancy Law
-
Akwa Ibom10 months agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New Territorial Chairman, Exco
-
Akwa Ibom10 months agoUmo Eno Commences Payment Of 80,000 Naira Minimum Wage With Arrears
-
News10 months agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New National President, Executive
-
News9 months agoSenator Natasha Returns To Senate With Husband Amid Seat Dispute
-
News8 months agoAtiku Reveals Why He Failed To Pick Wike As Running Mate In 2023
-
Economy7 months agoKiyosaki: Is Tinubu’s Government Afraid Of Ibrahim Traore?
-
Politics10 months agoPresident Trump Changes Divorce Law, No 50% Property Shares
