Economy
CFF 2026: Nigeria To Host Commonwealth Fencing Championships

CFF 2026: Nigeria To Host Commonwealth Fencing Championships
CFF 2026: Nigeria to host Commonwealth Fencing Championships. He appealed for more support from both the public and private sectors for the sport.
The Commonwealth Fencing Federation (CFF) has formally awarded the hosting right for the 2026 Commonwealth Fencing Championships to the Nigeria Fencing Federation (NFF) ahead of Australia.
The award followed the provisional hosting right granted to Nigeria a few months ago making her the first sub-Saharan nation to stage the tournament.
This is contained in a letter signed and issued on Sunday by CFF president, Marie-France Dufour, and addressed to all member nations.
It was resolved by a majority decision of the Board to award the hosting right to Nigeria after reviewing the technical committee’s report.
“As most of you are no doubt aware, the CFF received bids from two prospective hosts for the upcoming 2026 CFF Senior-Veteran Championships.
“After some discussions, it was resolved, by a majority decision of the Board, to provisionally award the event to the Nigerian Fencing Federation, subject to their addressing certain shortcomings identified in their original bid.
“This additional information was submitted to the CFF Technical Committee and reviewed at their meeting on March 19.
“The committee delivered its recommendations to the Board, which was discussed at the CFF Board meeting of March 27.
“After, it was agreed, by majority decision of the Board, to formally award the 2026 CFF Senior-Veteran Championships to the Nigerian Fencing Federation,” the letter reads.
The CFF president congratulated the NFF for being named host of the championship and wished them success in all their endeavours.
An elated president of the Nigeria Fencing Federation, Adeyinka Samuel, described the trust reposed in Nigeria as a major boost to the fortunes of fencing in the country.
He appealed for more support from both the public and private sectors for the sport.
“We made a bid for the hosting rights alongside Australia, and nobody ever gave us a chance to win.
“But after observing us host the Fencing World Cup in 2024, the CFF was convinced that we are ready to host any world-class tournament.

Commonwealth Fencing Championships
“I must acknowledge that this would not have been possible without the support of well-meaning individuals, Charter House Lagos and my board members.
“With what we have achieved in the last year, the world is now looking towards Nigeria as a nation with the potential to produce champions and host top-class events,” he said.
Mr Samuel said that the federation was humbled by the honour to host the prestigious tournament, and would start working towards hosting a befitting tournament.
“We intend to use this year’s African Senior Championships and the World Cup as tests for the Commonwealth Championships in 2026,” he said.
Economy
Bauchi Government, UNICEF Sign Agreement To Boost Child Welfare

Bauchi Government, UNICEF Sign Agreement To Boost Child Welfare
Bauchi government, UNICEF sign agreement to boost child welfare. She emphasised the need for continued support and cooperation from stakeholders.
The Bauchi State government, through the ministry of budget, economic planning, and multilateral coordination, has officially signed the 2025 work plan agreement with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
The agreement aims to improve the lives of the state’s citizens, particularly children.
The signing of the 2025 workplan marks a formal commitment between the State and UNICEF to achieve shared objectives for sustainable development, ensuring a more productive and impactful year ahead.
Nuzhat Rafique, chief of field office for UNICEF Bauchi, spoke at the signing ceremony in Bauchi on Wednesday.
She explained that the agreement was aimed at enhancing development initiatives across critical sectors in the state.

UNICEF
“The work plan was developed in collaboration with relevant ministries, agencies, and stakeholders.
“The focus areas include health, education, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), nutrition, and societal and behavioural change,” Ms Rafique said.
She emphasised the need for continued support and cooperation from stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the outlined activities.
Amina Katagum, commissioner for budget, economic planning, and multilateral coordination, expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s technical and financial support, particularly for child-focused programmes.
She reaffirmed the state’s commitment to supporting UNICEF initiatives, aiming to improve programme efficiency and address identified gaps.
Economy
NEITI Urges New NNPC Boss On Transparency, Accountability

NEITI Urges New NNPC Boss On Transparency, Accountability
NEITI urges new NNPC boss on transparency, accountability. Mr Tinubu removed all the board members appointed with Messrs Akinyelure and Kyari in November 2023.
The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) has urged Bayo Ojulari, the new group chief executive officer (GCEO) of the Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.), to strengthen reforms, transparency and accountability.
NEITI urged the new leadership to prioritise timely publication of the company’s financial statements, full disclosure of production data, operational costs, and revenue remittances to help rebuild public trust and enhance Nigeria’s global reputation.
The executive secretary of NEITI, Orji Ogbonnaya Orji, made the call on Wednesday while congratulating Mr Ojulari on his appointment.
President Bola Tinubu had on Wednesday reconstituted the board of the NNPC Ltd., removing the chairman, Pius Akinyelure and the Group CEO, Mele Kyari.
Mr Tinubu removed all the board members appointed with Messrs Akinyelure and Kyari in November 2023.
The new 11-man board has MrOjulari as the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) and Ahmadu Kida as non-executive chairman.
Mr Orji, while reacting, said that Mr Ojulari’s appointment came at a critical time when the ongoing NNPC Ltd’s reforms required renewed commitment, strategic leadership, and a firm dedication to transparency, accountability and corporate governance.
“NEITI recognised that NNPC Ltd., as Nigeria’s foremost national energy company, plays a crucial role in shaping the future of the country’s oil and gas sector.
“As a member of the NEITI National Stakeholders’ Working Group (NSWG) and a key institution in Nigeria’s extractive industry, NNPC Ltd. is responsible to ensure that the reforms initiated under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) are strengthened, broadened, and sustained in the public interest.
“As a Supporting Company of the global Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), NNPC Ltd.
must demonstrate unwavering commitment to openness, systematic disclosure of critical industry data, responsible resource management and corporate governance best practices,” he said.
He urged the new leadership to prioritise timely publication of NNPC’s financial statements, full disclosure of production data, operational costs, and revenue remittances to help rebuild public trust and enhance Nigeria’s global reputation.
According to him, transparency in the management of oil and gas revenues remains critical to national development and ongoing poverty reduction efforts.
He said the EITI process provided a tested framework for ensuring that revenues from natural resources were prudently managed, fully accounted for, and efficiently deployed to address Nigeria’s development needs.

NNPCL
“We look forward to working closely with the new GCEO and his team in deepening the NEITI-EITI process in Nigeria and ensuring that NNPC Ltd. continues to align with international best practices in corporate governance and financial transparency.
“NEITI also congratulates the newly reconstituted NNPC Ltd. Board and charges them to provide forward-looking strategic direction to fast-track the ongoing transformation of NNPC Ltd. in line with the PIA.
“The Board’s role in ensuring that NNPCL remains accountable to its shareholders—the Nigerian people—is crucial to the long-term sustainability of the company and the industry at large,”.
Mr Orji thanked the Kyari team for their dedication, hard work, mutual respect, patience, and collaboration with NEITI over the past six years.
“His tenure was marked by significant engagements with NEITI in advancing corporate transparency, public disclosures, and aligning NNPC Ltd. with the global EITI framework,” he said.
Economy
Surgeon Called For Early Medical Intervention To Prevent Complications

Surgeon Called For Early Medical Intervention To Prevent Complications
Surgeon called for early medical intervention to prevent complications. He called on the government to improve health facilities to prevent citizens from seeking treatment abroad.
Aconsultant surgeon, Jacob Akoh, has advised patients to seek immediate medical help when diagnosed with any illness to prevent termination.
Mr Akoh gave the advice at the Bingham University’s 2nd public lecture, held at the university’s campus in Karu Local Government Area of Nasarawa State on Wednesday.
The theme of the lecture is “Beyond The Operating Room: Reflections of a Surgical Career and Life of Purpose.”
As the guest lecturer and a retired Associate Professor in Europe, Mr Akoh emphasised that early medical intervention was crucial in effectively treating illnesses.
He urged people not to shy away from seeking help when faced with any symptoms, as neglecting health problems could lead to fatal consequences.
“No sickness should be taken for granted; it must be treated immediately,” Mr Akoh stated.
He also dispelled the belief that strange symptoms or illness were merely spiritual attacks, urging individuals to seek proper medical care instead of self-diagnosing or hiding symptoms.
Mr Akoh explained that the lecture was aimed at educating people, particularly in communities, on how to address health challenges and not neglect them.
He emphasised the importance of valuing one’s life and taking responsibility for seeking medical assistance when needed.
He also addressed concerns about the state of the healthcare sector in Nigeria, noting that it was underdeveloped compared to the Western world, in spite of its critical importance.
He called on the government to improve health facilities to prevent citizens from seeking treatment abroad, which negatively impacted the country’s healthcare system.
Mr Akoh shared some of his career successes, including performing multiple kidney transplants in one day, with all surgeries being successful.
However, he also highlighted challenges faced by surgeons, such as patients failing to provide accurate medical records, which could hinder effective treatment.

Surgeon Called For Early Medical Intervention
He urged patients to always provide precise health information to healthcare providers to ensure proper care and fulfilment in medical practice.
Additionally, Mr Akoh reminded medical practitioners to be mindful of their career purpose, stressing the need for active involvement in community health development.
In his remarks, the Vice Chancellor of Bingham University, Haruna Ayuba, commended Akoh for his enlightening lecture.
He acknowledged that although Akoh had spent more than 35 years as a surgeon in Europe, he returned to Nigeria to make a positive impact on society.
Mr Ayuba encouraged scholars and professionals to focus on the purpose of their careers, as it drives passion, motivation during challenges, and inspires excellence.
-
Akwa Ibom2 months ago
The Apostolic Church Gets New Territorial Chairman, Exco
-
Akwa Ibom2 months ago
Umo Eno Commences Payment Of 80,000 Naira Minimum Wage With Arrears
-
News2 months ago
List Of 42 Executive Orders Of Trump
-
News2 months ago
The Apostolic Church Gets New National President, Executive
-
Politics2 months ago
President Trump Changes Divorce Law, No 50% Property Shares
-
News2 months ago
Tinubu In Closed-Door Meeting With Ogoni Leaders, Wike, Fubara
-
Health care3 weeks ago
NiMet Warns FCT, Other 18 States Of Impending Heat Stress, Advises Safety Measures
-
Economy2 months ago
Enugu-Onitsha Expressway: Many Feared Dead, 8 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion