Connect with us

News

ICPC Pushed Back On El-Rufai’s Wife Over Viral Video On Access Denial Claim

Published

on

El-Rufai

ICPC Pushed Back On El-Rufai’s Wife Over Viral Video On Access Denial Claim

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) on Monday pushed back against allegations made in a viral video by the wife of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, insisting that she was not denied access to deliver food to her husband while in custody.

The anti-graft agency described the claims circulating online as false and misleading, maintaining that established access procedures at its Abuja headquarters were strictly followed.

Eereporter.com
The clarification was made during a media briefing addressed by the spokesperson of the commission, J. Okor Odey, at the ICPC headquarters in Abuja.

The briefing followed widespread reactions to a Hausa-language video that surfaced late Friday in which a woman identifying herself as El-Rufai’s wife alleged that she was prevented from entering the commission’s premises around 7 p.m. to deliver food to the former governor.

In the video, she also claimed that the ICPC violated a court order granting family access to El-Rufai and alleged that he was being denied food while in detention.

But the commission firmly rejected the allegations.

“The ICPC wishes to state categorically that these claims are false and misleading,” Odey said.

According to him, the commission operates a standing access control protocol that allows visitors into its premises between 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., noting that the policy predates the current leadership of the agency.

Odey disclosed that records available to the commission showed that one of El-Rufai’s wives and a housemaid were granted access to deliver food to him on at least three occasions between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on the same Friday the allegations emerged.

He added that the visits were properly documented in the commission’s official visitors’ register.

The ICPC further revealed that El-Rufai received six separate visits from family members that day, with the entries captured in the register available for independent verification.

According to the spokesperson, the woman in the viral video admitted that she arrived at the premises around 7 p.m., which was thirty minutes after the close of the approved visiting period.

“The woman in the video herself acknowledged that she arrived at 7 p.m., thirty minutes after the close of the official access window,” Odey said.

He added that the same woman also admitted in the video that she had earlier delivered breakfast and lunch to her husband, contradicting claims that the former governor was denied food.

Addressing claims that medical personnel were denied access to El-Rufai, the ICPC explained that it merely requested proper identification and confirmation from the former governor before supervised access could be granted.

Odey described the procedure as a standard security measure applicable to all detainees regardless of status.

He further disclosed that El-Rufai had recently been granted permission to visit both his dentist and eye doctor under the supervision of the commission.

“This is in addition to the regular access he enjoys to the Commission’s in-house medical personnel and facilities upon request,” he added.

The ICPC also raised concerns over the circumstances surrounding the viral video, noting that the visit in question was conducted in the company of media personnel and outside the approved visiting period.

El-Rufai

El-Rufai, ICPC

“The Commission wishes to state that it will not be drawn into dramatised narratives designed to circumvent lawful institutional procedures,” Odey said.

He maintained that the commission’s access control measures were designed to protect the rights, safety and dignity of all persons in custody.

The spokesperson added that the agency, under the leadership of its Chairman, Dr. Musa Adamu Aliyu (SAN), remains committed to the rule of law and the equal application of regulations irrespective of political status or affiliation.

News

EFCC Commences Investigation Of Two Suspects For Undeclared $461,600 At Kano Airport

Published

on

By

EFCC

EFCC Commences Investigation Of Two Suspects For Undeclared $461,600 At Kano Airport

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Kano Zonal Directorate, has begun investigation of two male suspects: Jamilu Shuaibu Waya and Usman Namadi for a total sum of $461,600 (Four Hundred Sixty One Thousand, Six Hundred United States Dollars) undeclared to men and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Kano/Jigawa Area Command at Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport.

The suspects were arrested on Friday, May 8, 2026, after arriving from Dubai via Ethiopian Airline ET941. While they initially declared $130,000 and $180,000 respectively at the currency declaration desk, a subsequent physical examination by Customs officers revealed an additional undeclared $120,000 on the first suspect (bringing his total to $250,000) and an additional $31,600 on the second suspect (bringing his total to $211,600). The undeclared amounts contravene Sections 3 and 4 of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act 2022.

Eereporter.com
Upon handover by the Acting Customs Area Controller, Deputy Comptroller UU Adamu, the Zonal Director of the EFCC Kano Directorate, Assistant Commander of the EFCC, ACE1 Friday S. Ebelo, assured the Nigeria Customs Service of the Commission’s commitment to a full-scale investigation.

“The EFCC will conduct a thorough and uncompromising investigation into this matter. We will prosecute the case with the utmost diligence to ensure that violators of our anti-money laundering laws face the full weight of justice,” he said.

He further expressed deep appreciation to the NCS for the long-standing and consistent cooperation of the Service with the EFCC over the years, noting that such inter-agency collaboration remains critical in combating the illegal movement of cash and financial crimes.

Similarly, in his earlier remarks, Adamu expressed his deep appreciation to the EFCC’s for its unwavering support to the Nigeria Customs Service.

EFCC

EFCC

‘’Let me express appreciation for the continuous collaboration with the EFCC Kano Zonal Directorate for their support in realizing our goal while combating the illegal movement of cash”, he said.

Following the formal takeover, the two suspects, along with the recovered undeclared currency and other relevant exhibits, were transported to the office of the Kano Zonal Directorate of the EFCC, where they are currently being held for further investigation and potential prosecution.

Continue Reading

News

NPF Dismantles Transnational Human Trafficking, Fraud Syndicate, Rescues 30 Foreign National

Published

on

By

Plateau Police

NPF Dismantles Transnational Human Trafficking, Fraud Syndicate, Rescues 30 Foreign National

The Nigeria Police Force has recorded a major breakthrough in the fight against transnational organised crime following the dismantling of a human trafficking and fraudulent exploitation syndicate operating within the Federal Capital Territory and neighbouring communities. The operation led to the rescue of thirty (30) foreign nationals and the arrest of thirteen (13) suspects linked to the criminal network.

The suspects arrested include Abdul Ngaki, identified as the principal suspect and syndicate leader, alongside Fatimah Kulibali, Ahmad Kasango, Sidibe Musa, Muhammad Dembele, Saidu Traore, Ali Koulibaly, Abdul Ngeki, Ahmed Sirma, Laya Bando, Aisha Dembele, Abi Togo, and Awa Tesure.

Eereporter.com
Investigations commenced following intelligence concerning the disappearance of several foreign nationals within Nigeria under suspicious circumstances.

Preliminary findings revealed that the syndicate targeted vulnerable young persons from West African countries, particularly Mali and Gabon, with false promises of migration opportunities to Europe and lucrative employment in Nigeria.

Victims were induced to pay processing and transportation fees before being conveyed to residential locations in Mararaba and Karu, Nasarawa State, where they were held under exploitative and restrictive conditions.

Further investigations established that victims who could not meet additional financial demands were coerced into participating in staged kidnapping schemes orchestrated by the syndicate. Under the arrangement, victims were forced to contact relatives in their home countries while pretending to have been kidnapped, thereby compelling family members to remit ransom payments into accounts controlled by the syndicate.

Acting on credible intelligence, operatives of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) conducted coordinated operations on 7th May 2026 at identified hideouts along Barrister Road, Rugan Dakachi, Nasarawa State, leading to the rescue of thirty (30) victims, all identified as Malian nationals, and the arrest of thirteen suspects directly connected to the operation.

Plateau Police

Police

The Nigeria Police Force its commitment to combating human trafficking, transnational organised crime, and all forms of exploitation, while assuring members of the public that all persons connected to the criminal network will be brought to justice.

DCP ANTHONY OKON PLACID, psc (+), mnipr, mni
Force Public Relations Officer
Force Headquarters, Abuja
18th May, 2026

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Hands Over Recovered N837m To Katsina State Governor

Published

on

By

EFCC

EFCC Hands Over Recovered N837m To Katsina State Governor

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Kano Zonal Directorate, on Monday, May 18, 2026 officially handed over recovered monetary exhibits totaling ₦837,485,389.00 to the Katsina State Government.

The handover followed separate investigations into two major cases involving stolen public funds belonging to the state.

In the first case, the Commission recovered ₦547,015,389.00 ( Five Hundred and Forty Seven Million, Fifteen Thousand, Three Hundred and Eighty Nine Naira) following a petition from the Katsina State Government regarding the criminal diversion of nearly ₦1.3 billion in statutory tax remittances.

Eereporter.com
The funds, which originated from international organizations including the World Health Organization (WHO), Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and ALIMA, were systematically diverted into a private bank account by six Board of Internal Revenue Service (BOIRS) personnel and three bank employees.

Following the investigation, 12 suspects were charged to court. Six of the suspects have already been convicted after pleading guilty, while the remaining six are currently standing trial at the Katsina State High Court.

In the second case, the Commission recovered ₦290,470,000.00 ( Two Hundred and Ninety Million, Four Hundred and Seventy Thousand Naira) traced to a systemic fraud uncovered by a 2021 intelligence report. The investigation revealed that former Sub-Treasurer, Sani Lawal BK and former Deputy Sub-Treasurer Saadu Maiwada in the office of the Accountant General of Katsina State colluded and diverted the sum to their personal companies through unauthorized, substantial cash withdrawals from the Katsina State Sub-Treasury Expenditure Account. Investigation also revealed that no services were rendered, nor any contracts awarded to warrant the withdrawals.

The suspects had since been charged to court and arraigned on July 11, 2023 on offences bordering on money laundering and misappropriation of funds in both Federal and State High Courts. Trials have commenced and witnesses are testifying before the courts.

The handover ceremony took place at the Kano Zonal Directorate, where the Zonal Director, Assistant Commander of the EFCC, ACE1Friday S. Ebelo, presented the recovered funds to Dr. Kabir Abdullahi Yantumaki, Executive Director of Standard and Compliance, Katsina State Internal Revenue Service.

Speaking during the ceremony, Ebelo reiterated the Commission’s unwavering commitment to ensuring that public funds are protected and that individuals entrusted with their management are held accountable.

He noted that the recovery was a result of painstaking investigative work by the hardworking officers of the Commission. He also urged the Katsina State Government to utilize the recovered funds judiciously for the benefit of Katsina State citizens.

EFCC

EFCC

“This money belongs to the people of Katsina State, and I will urge that same be used for the betterment of the people of Katsina State,” he said. He urged public officials to adhere to due process and warned that the EFCC would continue to track all forms of financial malfeasance.

Receiving the drafts, Yantumaki expressed gratitude to the EFCC for its diligence and professionalism. He assured that the recovered funds would be properly channeled into the state’s consolidated revenue account for the benefit of citizens.

Continue Reading

Trending