Economy
INEC Collaborate With NIMC To Strengthen Data Harmonisation For Nigerians
INEC Collaborate With NIMC To Strengthen Data Harmonisation For Nigerians
INEC collaborate with NIMC to strengthen data harmonisation for Nigerians. She said that the collaboration was part of the NIMC mandate to harmonise data across all ministries, departments, and agencies.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) have deepened their collaboration on data harmonisation for citizens registration and identity management.
The chairman of INEC, Mahmood Yakubu, stated this when he received the NIMC director-general, Abisoye Coker-Odusote and her management team at INEC headquarters on Wednesday in Abuja.
Mr Yakubu said that the move between the two sister agencies holding the largest biometric databases of Nigerians could, in future, enable citizens to vote from any location in the country.
He explained that while INEC holds the database of citizens for the purpose of elections, NIMC has the record of citizens generally.
“Since the ultimate goal is to enrol every citizen with NIMC, we look forward to the day when your database will serve as the single source of truth for citizenship identification in Nigeria.
“When the time comes, the national register of voters may simply draw from the citizenship register, as is the case in many jurisdictions around the world.
“This may also enable citizens to vote in future elections from their places of choice anywhere in the country, rather than the places they register as voters, as is the case at present.
“To achieve this long-term goal, we will continue to deepen our collaboration with NIMC,’’ he said.
Mr Yakubu said that the NIMC was collaborating with INEC to enable citizens to register for voter cards and the National Identification Number (NIN) simultaneously, during the ongoing nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).
“It is in furtherance of this collaboration that NIMC is deploying its officials to some of our registration centres during the ongoing nationwide CVR.
“The idea is to provide more Nigerians who are yet to enrol for the NIN the opportunity to do so.
“Working with NIMC, we carried out a pilot during the recent CVR in Anambra from July 8 to July 202025.
“ We are now set to scale it up nationwide. Citizens will, therefore, have the opportunity to register as voters while simultaneously registering for the NIN.
“In due course, NIMC will provide details of the locations of our CVR centres where it will deploy its officials and also provide the modalities for the NIN registration,’’ he said.
Earlier in her remarks, Abisoye Coker-Odusote said that the collaboration was part of the NIMC mandate to harmonise data across all ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs).
Ms Coker-Odusote explained that the collaboration would create a trust-based system that would benefit Nigerians across sectors, particularly in voting and ensure transparency, accountability and fairness.
This, according to her, is in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Tinubu, who is keen about promoting credible elections in Nigeria through a reliable identity system.

INEC Collaborate With NIMC
“The goal set out in front of us is very key because we must ensure that we provide systems that are trusted by the public.
“Ensuring that we do what is required to satisfy Nigerians and make sure that our mandate, which is in line with the will of the people, is achieved.
“On this note, one of the key steps in us advancing this course is for us to start off with INEC on their voter registration exercise, to ensure that we are available during this process.
“This is to be able to provide access to Nigerians at the community level to be able to enrol and register for the NIN in collaboration with the INEC,’’ Ms Coker-Odusote said
Fielding questions from the media on when Nigerians would have access to one Identity Card from NIMC for different purposes, she said it was a work in progress, which would be achieved.
Economy
FG’s TETFund Investment in Tertiary Institutions will Unlock Economic Potential in North Central, Says Information Minister
FG’s TETFund Investment in Tertiary Institutions will Unlock Economic Potential in North Central, Says Information Minister
The Honourable Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has said the Federal Government’s investment in tertiary education through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) will help unlock the North Central region’s vast agricultural, mineral, energy and economic potential.
Eereporter.com
Idris stated this on Thursday in Lokoja, Kogi State, at the 2026 TETFund North Central Zonal Town Hall Meeting.
The Minister said the region’s universities, polytechnics and colleges of education must be closely connected to its development needs and produce graduates with skills relevant to agriculture, mining, manufacturing, technology and other sectors.
“Our universities, polytechnics and colleges of education must therefore be closely connected to these opportunities, producing the scientists, engineers, agricultural experts, technicians and entrepreneurs required to unlock the vast potential of the North Central,” he said.
He said the Federal Government’s commitment was reflected in the 2026 TETFund intervention, with approximately ₦2.53 billion allocated to each public university, ₦1.87 billion to each polytechnic and ₦2.06 billion to each college of education.
“These are not simply budgetary figures. They represent laboratories that can be equipped, lecture halls that can be built, libraries that can be modernised, research that can be supported and students who can learn in better environments,” Idris said.
The Minister stressed the need for stronger links between tertiary institutions and industry, saying institutions must focus not only on producing graduates but also on research, innovation and job creation.
He also highlighted the role of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), technical and vocational education, digital skills and entrepreneurship programmes in expanding opportunities for young Nigerians.
“Education is therefore not only an economic investment; it is an investment in national security and social stability,” he said.
He urged TETFund to maintain transparency, monitoring and accountability in the use of intervention funds and called on stakeholders to ensure that recommendations from the town hall lead to measurable action.
The Executive Governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Usman Ododo, said tertiary institutions must move beyond producing graduates to becoming centres for research and practical solutions to the country’s challenges. “We need research that solves problems in agriculture, mining, healthcare, manufacturing, artificial intelligence, renewable energy, and security. Our research must move beyond theory to solutions that improve the lives of our people,” the Governor said.
He added that tertiary institutions should help turn the region’s natural resources and human capital into food security, industrial growth, employment and sustainable development.

Information Minister
In attendance was the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) ably represented by Prof Babatunde Bernard; the former Executive Governor of Kogi State, His Excellency, Captain Idris Wada; the Chairman, Board of Trustees, Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), Rt. Hon. Aminu Bello Masari, among other dignitaries.
Rabiu Ibrahim, mnipr
Special Assistant (Media) to the Honourable Minister of Information and National Orientation
Thursday, 20 August, 2026
Eereporter.com
Abuja
FCT Minister Wike Promises to Complete 10 Abuja Projects Before 2027 Elections
FCT Minister Wike Promises to Complete 10 Abuja Projects Before 2027 Elections
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has assured all that at least 10 major road and infrastructure projects in Abuja will be completed and ready for inauguration before the 2027 general elections.
Eereporter.com
Wike gave the assurance on Wednesday while inspecting the ongoing Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road and Nile University-RR3 Road projects in the Federal Capital Territory.
According to a statement issued by the minister’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, the minister said the inspection was aimed at assessing the progress of projects inaugurated during the FCT Administration’s third anniversary and determining whether the contractors would meet their delivery commitments ahead of the 2027 elections.
At the Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road project, Wike disclosed that five of the six box culverts had been completed, describing the pace of work as commendable.
He said the contractor, China Geo-Engineering Corporation, had assured the administration that the project would be completed and handed over by December.
“They have the capacity. I mean, they are not a new company. They have the capacity, they have the equipment. What’s important is if you have the equipment, and they have the equipment as part of capacity. So, they’ve been tested before now, so I have so much confidence in them,” Wike said.
The minister commended the contractor for its commitment to the project, noting that the company had demonstrated the capacity and willingness to contribute to the development of the FCT.
He, however, disclosed that the projects were capital-intensive and that some contractors had not received up to 30 per cent mobilisation despite continuing with the work.
The minister said the administration was working towards having 10 major projects completed and ready for commissioning before the 2027 elections.
“We are also visiting some other two projects tomorrow, believing that by the end of the year, we would have had up to 10 projects, as promised, lined up for commissioning before the general election,” he said.
The statement also reiterated that the FCT Administration had intensified efforts to tackle flooding through the removal of structures obstructing waterways across Abuja.
It stated that the FCT minister said the demolition exercise, which commenced in Maitama on Tuesday, would be extended to other parts of the capital where waterways had been blocked by structures.
“We’ve just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday,” Wike said.

Wike
The minister further disclosed that the Director of Development Control was being queried over approvals allegedly granted to car dealers to operate on designated green areas.
He directed the immediate removal of car dealerships operating on such spaces, stressing that green areas must be preserved for recreational and environmental purposes.
Eereporter.com
Economy
Subsidy removal, FX Reforms Yielded N15.8tn in 30 Months, Says Minister of Finance Taiwo Oyedele
Subsidy removal, FX Reforms Yielded N15.8tn in 30 Months, Says Minister of Finance Taiwo Oyedele
The Federal Government said on Wednesday that the removal of petrol subsidy and the unification of the foreign exchange market generated N15.8tn in additional resources for the Federation between June 2023 and December 2025, with states and local governments receiving the larger share of the amount.
Eereporter.com
The government, however, acknowledged that the subsidy savings did not appear in the Federation Account as a separate line item, explaining that the gains from the reforms manifested instead through increased revenue collections arising from changes in the exchange rate and the removal of subsidy-related distortions.
The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed this at a media conference on Nigeria’s reform scorecard, titled, “The Benefits, Costs and Harm Prevented.”
The disclosure provides a fresh government explanation to a question that has persisted since President Bola Tinubu announced the removal of petrol subsidy in May 2023: where did the savings go?
According to Oyedele, the N15.8tn was not paid into the Federation Account under a heading described as “subsidy savings.”
Instead, he said the combined effect of the petrol subsidy removal and foreign exchange reforms increased the naira value of revenues accruing to the Federation.
“Between June 2023 and December 2025, subsidy savings mobilised a sum of N15.8tn in resources for the Federation,” Oyedele said.
“So, the subsidy savings showed up in the form of higher collection by Customs because, for every one dollar of import duty before, at N460, it became one dollar at N1,004, N1,003, N1,005.
“The NRS, Petroleum Profit Tax that it collected before, same dollar, higher amount in naira. So, the savings showed up in the Federation accounts by way of higher revenue collections as a result of the reforms.”

Taiwo Oyedele
The minister said the additional fiscal resources were not generated by the petrol subsidy removal alone, arguing that the foreign exchange reforms also ended what he described as an implicit subsidy that had created opportunities for rent-seeking.
He said, “Not just the subsidy removal, but also the exchange rate flotation, because we were subsidising the exchange rate. And that subsidy was not going to the ordinary person or manufacturers. It was going to rent-seekers.”
Eereporter.com
Details Loading >>>
-
Crime1 year agoKogi Assembly Considers Law To Regulate Rent, Establish Control Board: Tenancy Law
-
News1 year agoAtiku Reveals Why He Failed To Pick Wike As Running Mate In 2023
-
Akwa Ibom2 years agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New Territorial Chairman, Exco
-
Crime2 years agoFederal High Court Jails 2 For Vandalizing Transformer, Telecom Mast In Kogi
-
News2 years agoThe Apostolic Church Gets New National President, Executive
-
Akwa Ibom2 years agoUmo Eno Commences Payment Of 80,000 Naira Minimum Wage With Arrears
-
News1 year agoSenator Natasha Returns To Senate With Husband Amid Seat Dispute
-
Economy1 year agoKiyosaki: Is Tinubu’s Government Afraid Of Ibrahim Traore?
